Discover the challenges and opportunities of choosing where and how to relocate in retirement at the Creative Retirement Exploration Weekend (CREW). CREW is an educational program that will give you an understanding of retirement lifestyle choices. You will gain increased confidence in whether, where and how to relocate, no matter where you are thinking about moving. For those interested in the Asheville area, we offer an optional Sunday program that includes information sessions and small group tours.
June 2-4, 2017 (registration will open late summer 2016)
About the CREW Workshop
This practical, action-planning workshop will help you consider:
- What retirement lifestyle suits me?
- Am I ready to relocate?
- Which community is the best fit for me?
- What type of housing will meet my needs now and for years to come?
- How will I find community in my new hometown?
- What do I do with all my stuff?
We will help you explore the personal and social aspects of this transition to retirement: How will a move affect your relationships and identity? Should you start over in a new location? How can you remain productive and lead a meaningful life in your new community? At CREW, you will be able to make concrete plans to enter and embrace an exciting retirement, wherever you move.
Cost & Registration
Registration for CREW 2017 will begin in late summer, 2016. Click here to sign up to be notified when registration opens.
Register before May 15
Friday and Saturday, $400* per person.
Sunday (optional), $50 per person.
Register on or after May 15
Friday and Saturday, $450* per person.
Sunday (optional), $75 per person.
*Fees include materials and most meals but not lodging. Accepted payment methods Visa or MasterCard.
For questions, call Laurel Jernigan at 828.250.3871.
Refund Policy: Check back once registration is open for updated refund policy.
Registrants will receive a complete agenda, program details and directions approximately one month before their program.
On Friday, you will begin by exploring retirement lifestyles. Do you plan to travel? Take classes? Continue to work or volunteer? Enjoy wellness or creativity? How will these decisions impact your choice of a new community? Couples will gain greater understanding of one another’s expectations about day to day life in retirement. Singles will discuss the unique challenges and opportunities associated with their retirement and relocation decisions.
On Saturday, you will examine criteria for choosing a new community, housing choices to meet long term needs, and how to actually make the move. Friday and Saturday programming is for those considering a move anywhere in the country or the world.
Our optional Sunday program is for those considering Western North Carolina as a potential place to move. Learn about small towns outside of Asheville, cultural and educational opportunities as well as health care resources in Asheville, and an overview of Asheville real estate.
Lively seminars, thought-provoking discussions and practical decision-making tools help you plan your move, from choosing a location and housing to settling into your new community. With about 100 fellow participants, you will hear from local retirees, many of whom relocated to the Asheville area, about their transition to retirement and lessons learned. Relocation professionals will offer tips on how to best navigate the moving process.
Learn practical steps to an exciting retirement and relocation at the Creative Retirement Exploration Weekend!
What is the difference between the “Paths” and “CREW” programs?
We offer another retirement planning program called Paths to Creative Retirement (Paths) twice a year - spring and fall. Paths helps participants plan a meaningful retirement that matches their values and priorities, whether or not that includes relocation.
Both workshops address mid- and later-life transition issues. Paths focuses on personal transitions to a meaningful retirement, including timing, identity, relationships and, for some, relocation. CREW focuses on the challenges and opportunities of relocating, specifically, and all other issues are seen through that lens.
Another difference is size: Paths limits enrollment to 35 people to accommodate an intensive and highly-interactive format of facilitated small group discussions. Paths participants receive personal attention as they consider next steps toward a meaningful retirement. CREW brings about 100 attendees together in a large group format incorporating interaction with peers in some discussion groups. Participants can expect to leave CREW with the ability to make more informed decisions about relocating.
Who attends the Creative Retirement Exploration Weekend and what are they seeking?
Typically, participants come from all over the country. Both singles and couples, they are usually in their 50s and 60s. Many are still working though they may be 2-3 years from retirement. Most are interested in relocating and want help determining where and when to make their move. Some, but not all, are interested in learning more about Western North Carolina.
Does CREW address issues for singles as well as couples?
Not only do we encourage singles to attend, we do our best to connect them with one another and to offer programming specifically for them. However we even encourage couples to explore their transition issues individually before negotiating them as a couple. Couples often say CREW helps them open up communication pertaining to retirement and relocation.
In addition to information, what will I gain from CREW?
Printed materials, presenters, panelists and local retirees provide information and insight to help with your planning. Other participants are also a wealth of knowledge; you will likely see that others are asking the same questions as you about this process, and find questions you hadn’t yet thought to ask.
Is CREW about moving to Asheville?
No. CREW is about relocating anywhere, and Friday and Saturday programming is for those who are considering any location in the country or the world. However many attendees are interested in learning about Asheville. For those attendees, we offer an optional program on Sunday including information on other communities in our region, health/cultural/educational resources in Asheville, and Asheville area real estate.
Do I need a car for the weekend?
CREW is held on the University of North Carolina Asheville campus, located a mile north of downtown. No hotels are within walking distance of our campus, therefore most participants rent a car.
2016 CREW Sponsors
Many thanks to these businesses for their support of CREW and of lifelong learning at OLLI at UNC Asheville!
2015 CREW Tour Guide Leaders
Many thanks to these wonderful area Realtors who volunteered their time and expertise to educate CREW participants about the Asheville Real Estate market!
- Rachel Acker - Asheville Realty Group - 828.273.1011
- Sybil Argintar - Dawn Wilson Realty - 828.230.3773
- Alyssa Augustine - Mosaic - 828.633.5051
- Sandra Brooks - Mosaic Realty - 828.333.2500
- Mary Ellen Brown - United Real Estate Asheville - 828.280.7254
- Camilo Monroy-Buendia - Beverly-Hanks & Associates - 407.908.4612
- Dawn Clayton - Beverly-Hanks & Associates - 828.778.2656
- Mary-Catherine Cramer - Preferred Properties, Inc. - 828.242.4646
- Tracy Dew - Preferred Properties, Inc. - 828-423-5700
- Tom Elio - Coldwell Banker King - 828-301-1050
- Whit Fortenberry - Beverly-Hanks & Associates - 828-712-3913
- Debbie Francis - Asheville Area Realty - 828-553-9019
- Binna Green - Preferred Properties, Inc. - 828-230-1996
- Ron Harris - Beverly-Hanks & Associates - 828 225-0360
- Nancy Kern - Preferred Properties, Inc. - 828-273-2523
- Karon Korp - Asheville Realty Group - 828-231-0041
- Denise Legendre - Preferred Properties, Inc. - 828-775-7554
- Debbie Leon - United Real Estate Asheville - 828-273-4887
- Gretchen Lewis - Town and Mountain Realty - 828-301-3022
- Madison Link - Town and Mountain Realty - 828-712-8790
- Michael Lizzul - Beverly-Hanks & Associates - 828-772-6063
- Christie Melear - Beverly Hanks & Associates - 828-776-1986
- Rob Montague - Asheville Realty Group - 828-333-1200
- Lori Nelson - Keller Williams Realty - 828-545-3005
- Harry Philip - Berkshire Hathaway - 828-808-9404
- Sybil Riddle - Preferred Properties, Inc. - 828-230-9116
- Dianne Rule - Beverly-Hanks & Associates - 828 450 4077
- Gene Sandlin - Beverly-Hanks & Associates - 828-450-8797
- Vanessa Santucci - Asheville Realty Group - 828-707-7465
- Greg Schmidt - Beverly-Hanks & Associates - 828-458-0256
- Doug Sherry - Preferred Properties, Inc. - 828-713-3719
- Joye King Steele - Preferred Properties, Inc. - 828-808-1381
- Jackie Tatelman - Dawn Wilson Realty - 828-713-5193
- Nina Tovish - Preferred Properties, Inc. - 828-407-0898
- Cindy Ward - Weaverville Realty - 828-658-0700
- Nancy Witek - Beverly-Hanks & Associates - 828-553-4340
- Suzanne Smith Wright - Preferred Properties, Inc. - 828-551-4609
- Evelyn Zebro - Beverly-Hanks & Associates - 828-450-5189
Contact Laurel Jernigan at 828.250.3871 or email@example.com.