Special Interest Groups (SIGs) offer a way to pursue interests with other like-minded OLLI members. Special Interest Groups meet on a regular schedule, weekly to monthly, according to the needs of the group.
To propose a new Special Interest Group
Review the guidelines and the SIG proposal process, then complete a Special Interest Group proposal form and return the completed proposal form to the Reuter Center office. Current SIG coordinators may download a SIG Membership form and download a SIG Attendance form.
Current Special Interest Groups (SIGs)
To join a Special Interest Group, please contact the person listed as the SIG contact.
- Apple SIG—second Fridays, 1:30-3:30 p.m. SIG contact: Paula Withrow, 828.350.8406, firstname.lastname@example.org or Bob Mellor, 828.253.5031, email@example.com Provides a community for continued learning, problem solving and information sharing pertaining to Mac, its applications and hardware, useful websites, and associated mobile devices. All experience levels are welcome.
- Art - Fridays, 1-4pm. SIG contact: Janet Richardson, 828.772.9660, firstname.lastname@example.org A group of artists of all disciplines who meet once a week in the Reuter Center art studio-Room 230- to produce their art. The purpose is to inspire each other, help with new ideas and to keep us from being isolated while doing our artwork.
- Beer on Tap-second Wednesdays, 4:30pm. SIG contact: Erik Vedeler email@example.com We live in a Beer City, so let's explore all the new beer tastings and new locations and events in and around Asheville! Singles encouraged to attend. This is a participatory SIG with each member hosting and choosing a venue for monthly meetings.
- Bridge Buddies—Tuesdays, 2-5 p.m. SIG contact: Connie Mitchell, 828.254.2209, firstname.lastname@example.org Laid-back bridge players at intermediate to advanced levels. No partner is required; the group plays with tallies and move around the tables as the tally indicates.
- Bridge for Fun--Wednesdays, 2-5 p.m. Meets off-site. SIG contact: Patricia Grace 828.505.0046, email@example.com or Beth Alford, 828.505.2922, firstname.lastname@example.org This SIG is for those of us who prefer to emphasize the social and fun aspects of the game while still improving our bridge skills. The atmosphere of the group is meant to be relaxed with a comfortable level of competition. Participants should be able to play at the experienced beginner or intermediate level. Members will be asked to share in the management of the group (organizing materials, setting-up, and dismantling at the end of play.)
- Bridge Grads—Thursdays, 2-5 p.m. SIG contact: Nina Hansen, 828.299.7711, email@example.com or Kay Harrold, 828.257.4027, firstname.lastname@example.org This SIG provides weekly playing opportunities for graduates of Bob Evans’ bridge classes at the College for Seniors (Beginning Bridge, Intermediate Bridge, and Play of the Hand). Participants should be able to play at the intermediate level, expect to play in a relaxed atmosphere and to share in the management of the group (organizing materials, setting-up, and dismantling at the end of the group session).
- Conversing in Spanish--first and third Wednesdays, 4 p.m., SIG contact: This SIG will provide a place that students can gather to engage in Spanish conversation in order to sharpen their skills. SIG contact: Harv Wechsler, email@example.com
- Financial Strategies in Retirement—first Fridays, 1:30 p.m. SIG contact: Kate Beatty, 828.231.7710, firstname.lastname@example.org This group is geared towards people who already have a basic knowledge of finance and investment strategies and wish to share problems and solutions. The group often invites guest speakers to address concerns identified by our members. We do not invest as a group, but hope to inform members of opportunities that may interest them. We will also discuss major challenges to financial security in retirement. Any current member of OLLI is invited to attend any session which may be of interest.
- Gardening SIG 2nd Tuesday of the month, 4:15 p.m. SIG contact Patricia Grace, 828.505.0046, email@example.com. We get together to learn about gardening in North Carolina, visit gardens- both private and public, share/exchange plants, help each other solve garden problems, meet friends with similar interests, and socialize. We conclude each meeting with an optional “tea with friends.” Both ladies and gents are welcome to take part. We meet twice a month during the growing season (April-October) and once a month during the rest of the year.
- The Forum: Dialogue to Challenge Our Thinking. Fridays, 1 p.m. SIG contact: Beth Johnson, firstname.lastname@example.org A free-flowing dialogue designed to enrich and expand participants’ thinking on topics ranging from Changing Demographics of Retirees to Nuclear Disarmament.
- Français Facile First and third Fridays of the month, 1-3 p.m. SIG contact: Renee' Raffini, email@example.com This SIG is open to any OLLI member who wants to practice their French conversation at whatever level. It is not a “class”, but a strong French speaker will lead the group in discussions or readings and games depending on the people who attend.
- Hiking Club Join the Hiking Club by visiting the website: OLLIHikingSIG.org Information on the SIG Charter, Guidelines for Members and Hike Leaders, and TIPS for Successful Hiking will be found on the home page. If you have any questions please contact OLLIHikingSIG@gmail.com or call Marcia at 631-987-7451
- History Book Lovers -History book lovers are meeting at 3 p.m. on the 3rd Friday of each month. SIG contact: Jane White, 828.274.9354, firstname.lastname@example.org Come join the fun to share beloved books, engage in discussion, and connect with like-minded members around our favorite subject - history!
- Intermediate Bridge—Fridays, 1:15-4 p.m. SIG contact: Ruth Hall, 541.490.6460, email@example.com Bridge for fun and camaraderie in a non-competitive setting at the intermediate level.
- Meditation - 2nd and 4th Mondays, 4:15 p.m. SIG contact: Sally Ekaireb firstname.lastname@example.org A guided meditation group for members with prior experience with meditation, it is not a beginner group. Please bring your yoga blanket.
- Men’s Wisdom Works—Call or email for meeting times. SIG contact: Bob Tomasulo, email@example.com Men hold frank, open, and confidential discussions about issues that impact men during life’s transitions in order to bond and build a social network. Topics include retirement, aging, career change, moving, and many more.
- Poetry Lovers—fourth Fridays, 1:30-3:30 p.m. SIG contact: Karen Depew, firstname.lastname@example.org An informal group of poetry lovers committed to helping one another in developing poetry writing skills. Members are encouraged to present their own poems, or include works by others, to facilitate constructive, supportive critiquing. Meetings are also open to more general topics of poetry, including discussion of new books, publishing opportunities, trends and other subjects. All are welcome to join, whether novice or pro. The main criterion is love of poetry.
- Stitch in Time-Meets first Monday of the month, 2-4 p.m. SIG contact: Gay Lambirth, 281.433.1060, email@example.com This is a fellowship group for stitchers of all types (knitting, crochet, quilting, needlepoint, embroidery, cross stitch, sewing, etc) to help encourage, inspire, and support each other. All skill levels welcome!
- Texas Hold'Em Poker—Mondays, 4:15-6 p.m. SIG contact: Bruce Jones, 828.338.0265, firstname.lastname@example.org Texas Hold'Em is an exciting fast paced game that is simple to learn and difficult to master. The group welcomes all levels of players from expert to absolute beginner. Beginners will be able to work with an experienced player who is well-versed in training new players.
- Thriving in Community-Varied Fridays, times vary. SIG contact: Amy Davison, email@example.com. This group hopes to provide information and resources for members interested in creating the support needed within their homes and neighborhood so they can “age in place” and thrive in the second half of life.
- Tile Clickers (Mah Jongg)—Wednesdays, 2-5 p.m. SIG contact: Rosemary Walton, 828.667.8979, firstname.lastname@example.org Mah Jongg is a game that involves skill, strategy, and calculation, as well as a certain degree of luck. Members play at the Reuter Center with a large set of attractive tiles based on Chinese characters and symbols using the book of Wright-Patterson rules and hands.
- Wednesday Wine Tasting--1st Wednesday of every month, 7pm at a members home. Contact Hooker Wood - email@example.com or 713.515.9661 for details.
- Whole Foods/Plant-based Living - varied Fridays, 3pm. In this group we provide information and support for anyone interested in following a more plant based diet along the lines of Drs. Dean Ornish, Caldwell Esselstyn, Joel Fuhrman, Neal Barnard, John McDougall, Michael Greger, etc. and T. Colin Campbell, PhD. Contact Bonnie Wheeler, 330.321.1360, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wine Tasting II—the third Sunday, 7 p.m. SIG contact: Kathleen Mainardi, 828.633.2119, email@example.com Enjoy learning about wines during tastings, discussing food parings, vineyards, local wines, and more in a casual setting.
- Women's Group—Women participate in non-judgmental sharing, for pleasure, friendship, and mutual enrichment. Topics may include such subjects as: grace; humor; guilt; joy; exploring beliefs about aging; how to say “no”; health; death of loved ones; retirement; working retirement; parenting “old” children; parenting our aging parents; sex in the second fifty years, in-lawing, grand parenting, etc. If interested, contact the group you think you'd like to join: Group #1 contact: Toby Arbeiter, firstname.lastname@example.org, meets off-site on 2nd and 4th Mondays, 2-4 p.m.; Group #6 contact: Marcia Markowitz, email@example.com, meets 1st & 3rd Tuesdays, 4:15 p.m.; Group #8 contact: Jeanette Jackson, firstname.lastname@example.org, and Julene Cupp, email@example.com, meets 2nd & 4th Tuesdays, 4:15 p.m.; Group #10 contact: Jeanine Harris, firstname.lastname@example.org meets 1st & 3rd Mondays, 4:15 p.m.; Group #12 contact Susan Stockman email@example.com, 1st & 3rd Wednesday, 4:30 p.m.